Saturday 19 August 2017

Saturday Song: Eric Burdon & The Animals, "Sky Pilot"

I remember feeling offended by this song when I heard it in the spring of 1968. To me, Eric Burdon was saying that God was inept and that prayers were futile in the face of monstrous carnage. Because we, through Adam and Eve, chose to do things our way, God let us suffer the consequences.

Hear Eric Burdon and the Animals' "Sky Pilot" here.

I now understand what Eric was getting at. He was examining the matter of how God could let horrors like war happen. But not being instructed by the Holy Spirit, he couldn't comprehend the vast plan God has for each human life.

How wonderful it is that we aren't stuck with this damaged world forever. Isaiah 65:17 (KJV) promises, "For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind."

And as the Lord says in Isaiah 66:22 (KJV), "For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain."

Here's another assurance of the good eternal life to come for believers. The Bible says in 2 Peter 3:13(KJV) that, "Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness."

So, what memories come to you when you hear Eric's song? And what do you think of what I wrote? Please leave me a comment in the box below. Or if you don't wish to do that, have a wonderful weekend anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.