Thursday 29 June 2017

Why Thank God for Our Accomplishments?

Along with praise, God loves it when we thank him. But what about the things we've accomplished on our own, such as holding down a job or raising well-behaved children? The Bible shows us that we're given the strength and ability to do things like that.

First of all, we don't know the future. The Bible in Basic English renders James 4:13-14 this way: "How foolish it is to say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go into this town, and be there for a year and do business there and get wealth:' When you are not certain what will take place tomorrow. What is your life? It is a mist, which is seen for a little time and then is gone."

We tend to glory in our strength but God is the one who gives it to us. Our attitude is as foolish as the examples in Isaiah 10:15 (KJV) which reads, "Shall the ax boast itself against him that  heweth therewith? or shall the saw magnify itself against him that  shaketh it? as if the rod should shake itself against them that lift it  up, or as if the staff should lift up itself, as if it were no wood."

The truth is that without the power and gift of life from the Lord, we're helpless. Jesus said in John 15:5 (KJV)  "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that  abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for  without me ye can do nothing."

Also, our society despises weakness but God works best through yielded people without the might to do much. Look at what Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV). "And he said unto me, My grace is  sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the  power of Christ may rest upon me."

Tragically, the people who mentored me when I was a new Christian didn't understand this. They wanted to wield the power of God for their own aggrandizement and taught me to want the same. My How I Was Razed book shows how futile that was and how the Lord is glorified in our inabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.