Tuesday 30 May 2017

Why Did Christ Ascend Into Heaven?

Many Christians mark Christ's ascension each year but why did he leave our world in the way he did? Luke recorded in Acts 1:9 (KJV) how the Lord left his disciples. "And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight."

But why did Jesus ascend? He could have just vanished  or, like in a western movie, walked into the sunset. Here's what the Bible says about this.

David foretold Christ's ascension in Psalms 68:18 (KJV). "Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them."

Jesus himself knew this and proclaimed it to Nicodemus in John 3:13 (KJV). "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven."

Our Lord also told this to Mary Magdalene. John 20:17 (KJV) reads, "Jesus saith unto her, 'Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.'"

We who believe in Christ have an added assurance that he will return. An angel explained to the disciples in Acts 1:11 (KJV), "Which also said, 'Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.'"

This is one of many wondrous truths which we who trust in Christ retain and defend. Our Lord's return makes all that we suffer bearable. I'll be writing in depth about this in my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? At this point, I'm saving up to have it published.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.