Tuesday 21 February 2017

How Does the Holy Spirit Manifest Himself in Us?

Sanctification is another work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. He helps us avoid sin and show forth the truth to sinners. Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 4:2 (KJV), "But have renounced the hidden things of  dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God  deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves  to every man's conscience in the sight of God."

Certain Christian sects believe that the Holy Spirit is chiefly manifested through the gift of tongues. As I pointed out before, tongues means languages. It isn't blathering away in a supposedly angelic language.

As Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV) "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." How does it profit us, others, and God if we natter on in a language which nobody understands?

But some folks might quote 1 Corinthians 14:4 (KJV) which says, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church." They miss the fact that if somebody is praising God in a language which the congregation doesn't know, it's wasted effort on the congregation's part.

Instead, Paul advised in 1 Corinthians 14:2 (KJV), "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." Therefore, if you believe you have the gift of tongues, don't use it to teach others with unknown languages.

As Paul wisely advised in 1 Corinthians 14:9 (KJV), "So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air."

In charismatic congregations, what is often missing is the interpretation of the words spoken. Paul pointed out in 1 Corinthians 14:13-14 (KJV)  "Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful."

I could write so much more in this post about this topic. Instead, I'll save it for my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven? People in the sick house church I once joined thought they were speaking angelic languages but it was all just jabber. Many people, myself included, faked tongues just to get people off my back. I didn't know back then that I was actually insulting the Holy Spirit by ascribing to him my phoney gift of tongues. May all believers realize it if they made this terrible mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.