Tuesday 20 September 2016

Need We Be "Prayed Up"?


Have you heard evangelical Christians use the phrase "prayed up" to mean that they're fully protected by God? We must repent of any sins we might have committed or any omission of Christ's commands but will he still protect us if we forget to ask? I see nothing in the Bible which even hints that we should be "prayed up."

some people misapply Psalm 66:18 (KJV) which reads, "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:" Regarding iniquity means to cherish a sin instead of repenting of it.

The Lord is always willing to forgive us when we ask for his forgiveness and mean it. Psalm 34:18 (KJV) promises, "The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit."

Likewise, Psalm 51:17 (KJV)states, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."

And look at what Isaiah 66:2 (KJV) declares. "'For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been,' saith the LORD: 'but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.'"

"But that's just the Old Testament," some might be saying. Oh? Look at what  Christ's favourite disciple wrote in 1 John 1:9 (KJV), "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

In my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven, I plan on writing about the superstitions which keep people out of heaven. Relying on anybody or anything other than God is idolatry, even upon being "prayed up."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.