Tuesday 16 August 2016

What Kind of People Ought Christians to Be?

One thing I've noticed over the years is that material possessions matter less and less to me. Forty years ago, I felt overjoyed about my new stereo with the turntable and built-in 8 track recorder. But the stereo and the cartridges are long gone. Only the memories and speakers remain.

I find myself today wanting practical things such as an electric lawn mower and extendable aluminum ladder. I still buy myself a few nice gadgets, such as the portable AM/FM/WX/SW radio I recently purchased,  but I no longer crave such things as I once did.

I've become far more focused upon spiritual topics since truth will last eternally. As Saint Peter wrote, this world will pass away someday. Look at what he declared in 2 Peter 3:10 (BBE). "But the day of the Lord will come like a thief; and in that day the heavens will be rolled up with a great noise, and the substance of the earth will be changed by violent heat, and the world and everything in it will be burned up."

As much as I love radio, its day will pass. As much as I enjoy tinkering with my PCs, they too shall be dissolved when God pulls the pin on the "weak force" which scientists say holds atoms together. He'll replace them with new heavens and a new earth wherein dwells righteousness. That's worth infinitely more than the latest technological advance.

Consider carefully what Peter wrote in the next verse. "Seeing then that all these things are coming to such an end, what sort of persons is it right for you to be, in all holy behaviour and righteousness." No matter how many cool gadgets we own, they'll end up in the recycling facility. No matter how many honours we earn, they'll be no use when the Lord comes to judge the wicked.

This is why it's crucial that we pursue righteousness as our top priority. Gadgets are nice but they're irrelevant in light of eternity.

My next book, You Think You're Going to Heaven, will focus on what God requires of us instead of what people believe. After all, his Word is the measuring stick which all things must be judged by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.