Friday 18 March 2016

What's This Personal Relationship With Christ?

Bearing what I previously wrote in mind, I need to explain what the meaning is of having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. In brief, it means becoming his friend, disciple, servant,  and child.

When we give ourselves to Christ, we become far more than mere property. John 15:15 (KJV) quotes Jesus as saying to his disciples, "Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you."

Furthermore, we know him intimately as a true friend. Look at what Christ said in Revelation 3:20 KJV). "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." Unlike uninvited strangers, we invite Jesus into our lives and he fellowships with us like a dinner guest.

Here's another great promise, this time from Colossians 1:27 (KJV.) "To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" Ponder that mind-blowing truth for a while.

Not only that but we inherit the riches of Christ. Check out what Galatians 3:29 (KJV) says. "And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed,  and heirs according to the promise."

And how do we become heirs? We become adoptees. Paul wrote in Galatians 4:5 (KJV), "To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons."

He also wrote in Romans 8:15 (KJV), "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, 'Abba, Father.'"

Even better, this adoption is physical as well as spiritual. Consider what Paul wrote in Romans 8:23 (KJV), "And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body." Now isn't all that worth giving up your selfish will to the Lord?

In my next book called You Think You're Going to Heaven?, I hope to go into deeper detail about the rewards of a surrendered life to Christ. What a bargain it is that when we give up ourselves to him, we get all he is in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.