Tuesday 9 June 2015

THE FIRE OF HER DREAMS BURNED HER OUT

Today is Lauri Paisley's birthday. What's so special about that? Lauri was an electronic music composer back in the mid eighties. Through a fan magazine, I learned of her first LP, The Fire of Dreams. Not only did I buy a copy for myself but I gave several away as gifts and one to the local university station.

Lauri and I carried on a correspondence which only lasted about two years. We wrote each other and also sent each other cassette letters. Mainly, we discussed the music industry but we also told each other about our personal activities.

As time passed, Lauri began complaining about her lack of success. Hauling her mountain of gear around to various gigs in the Elizabeth, New Jersey area sprained her back. In fact, she woke up one morning and was unable to get out of bed for a while. That really frightened her.

In addition to the problem of being her own roady, Lauri felt hard done by because of the CD revolution. She felt that everybody wanted CDs rather than the vinyl records she invested plenty of money into. CDs were touted as being scratch-proof, higher fidelity, and almost indestructible. Lauri felt stuck with boxes of LPs which weren't selling.

Finally, Lauri told all her correspondents that she was quitting music. She had an episode on stage one night where her mind went blank in the middle of a piece. Therefore, she decided to end her musical career. She, who once begged correspondents to "give her mail man a hernia," now wanted nobody to write to her.

While I understand her profound disappointment, myself having two books which barely sold any copies, I realize her reaction to constant failure was churlish. She could have continued corresponding with fans and friends without continuing to flog her LPs and cassette tapes. Instead, she chose to cut us all off and she rebuffed any attempts to continue corresponding with her.

I certainly don't plan on doing that to any of my contacts. In the past, I've continued my correspondence with electronic music friends and musicians long after I stopped composing tunes. Though I haven't sold many books, I have no intension of slamming the door in the faces of my friends like Lauri did. I'll still sell my paperbacks, though I won't have any new copies printed for now, and I still have CD-Rs of most of my albums available.

If you're curious about my music, I've made videos  for some tracks and uploaded them to YouTube. I've also uploaded many tracks to SoundCloud. Additionally, you're welcome to check out my three memoirs at the Bruce Atchison's Books page as well as at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Powell's Books.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauri belonged to a breast cancer forum where I read her amazing posts. I believe she died in 2012--a great loss to the women on our forum. She didn't speak of her music, so we're just now finding out and enjoying her songs on youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, do you have the forum name? Methyluna

      Delete
  4. I'm sad to hear about the passing of Lori Paisley. She was extremely talented. I'm glad that her music is on YouTube for all of us to enjoy. Her LP and the cassette I have of her music are cherished parts of my music collection.

    Thanks for letting me know of her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too corresponded with Lauri for a year or two. I was in my mid-teens. I will always remember her flowery penmanship. It's kind of ironic that she just gave up like that. I say it is ironic because I was about to give up on college when I last wrote her. The correspondence ended around 1987. But on a lark, I wrote to her in 1991 to see what was up, and to catch her up- I was frustrated with college and only had one semester left and was thinking about dropping out and doing something else. I even took the postal exam. She had long stopped doing music- she told me that- but she told me that it would be absolutely dumb if I dropped out with one more semester to go. She even told me she was in the midst of getting a degree in environmental science and was going to work in the petroleum industry for her dad. That was the end of it.. My musical activities were taking off at the time in a total non-electronic vein.. And I did finish school. I always wondered what happened to her.. A periodic web search brought me here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauri plays ARP Omni lead on this track: https://youtu.be/L1L1ieOIzqY and also on this one:

    https://soundcloud.com/don-slepian/another-electric-tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am stunned to find this blog. I knew her back in elementary school. My last correspondence with her was in 1997.

    _Methyluna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauri and I shared a studio together for a short time in the 1980's.
    One of our unreleased collaborations is re mastered and posted here:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-279253339-961030783/cosmost

    There is also a tribute to Lauri posted there put together from scraps and in the studio fun.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-279253339-961030783/remembering-forever-tribute-to-lauri-paisley

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.