Tuesday 26 May 2015

'KEEP THE PEACE AND BE OF GOOD BEHAVIOUR'

Radio shows come and go but some leave a huge gap when they're gone. One of those programs aired on an Edmonton, Alberta radio show from approximately 2003 to 2012. As far as I know, no other radio station had a show quite like it.

Cop Talk was hosted by two actively-serving police officers, Sergeant Aubrey Zalaski and Constable Patrick Tracy. Every Saturday afternoon from 3:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M., barring preemption by sports or both officers being away, listeners were able to speak directly to the men whose duty it was to serve and protect.

Another excellent aspect of the show was that Aubrey was a young cop whereas Patrick had twenty-plus years of experience. This, and the lively banter between the two officers, gave the show its charm. Additionally, the men ended each broadcast by saying, "Keep The peace and be of good behaviour. You've just listened to Cop Talk on six-thirty CHED."

On many occasions, guests would appear on the show who were experts in some field of policing. Dog handlers and trainers visited during a few shows. A detective also appeared on one broadcast. Even the police chief paid the studio a visit, giving Edmontonians a chance to ask him directly about police matters.

I had the pleasure of calling in quite a few times. Once I even asked a hypothetical question, the answer of which appeared in a short story I wrote. On another occasion, I told the men that I moved away from Edmonton because of noise, obnoxious neighbours, and that the Edmonton Police Service provided me with no satisfactory help to keep my neighbours quiet. I moved to the tiny hamlet of Radway to get away from that sort of nonsense. When Patrick heard my story, he was deeply moved.

It was the retirement of Constable Tracy which brought the show to a close in October of 2012. Having suffered a recent heart attack, he decided to take his justly deserved rest. Aubrey realized that the show just wouldn't be the same with only him hosting it, or with another officer filling in. Therefore, he decided not to continue hosting the program.

Cop Talk was one show I regularly tuned in. While doing housework or yard work, I enjoyed the subjects discussed and the banter. Saturday afternoons weren't quite the same for the show's loyal listeners after the program went off the air. To date, no show hosted by police officers has replaced Cop Talk. The way things are going, I doubt any new program will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.