Tuesday 3 September 2013

THE JOYS OF VACATIONING ALONE.

People generally like to take vacations with family and friends. The idea is to share experiences and each other's company. On the other hand, people such as myself enjoy the freedom of spending a holiday alone.

Back in September of 1988, I decided to visit Banff and Jasper on my own. I had been to Banff with Sister Eileen and my brother Roy three years previously and we did have some fun then. Even so, I decided to go alone and find out if I would have more fun than with company.

Having checked out accomodation prices, I decided to rent a motel room. It was simply furnished with a bed, table, two chairs, and a wardrobe. The room also had a bathroom with a shower and bath tub. I slept well that night since nobody was in a partying mood there. On my previous visit, I rented a hotel room above a bar. I had to sleep with earplugs and even then I could still feel the vibrations from the amps.

I spent the next few days touring the town. Being able to eat when I felt like and go where I wanted to without checking with others felt exhilarating. On past trips, I had to go wherever others wanted to visit. On this trip, I had the freedom of walking wherever I desired.

My ride on the gondola to the top of Sulphur Mountain was equally pleasing and better than in 1985. Though there were still some tourists riding with me, I felt at ease. They had no expectations of me and I had none of them.

The best part of the trip was seeing bighorn sheep eues close up. Though there was a fine for feeding the animals, they felt no fear of us as we took photos of them. At one point, a eue and her lamb stood within three feet of me as I took their picture. I felt a sensation of peaceful coexistance with those beautiful creatures as we regarded one another. Then the eue wandered away with her lamb following her.

There were also little squirrels who dashed around us. Since there was no fine for feeding them, the eager rodents mugged for hand-outs. One even jumped on my thigh as I sat on the wooden pathway.

Though there were moments when I wanted to share my experience with somebody, I felt happy on that part of the trip. I boarded a bus to Jasper with the feeling that visiting that national park alone would be just as pleasurable.

I didn't mention this vacation in my book called How I Was Razed: A Journey from Cultism to Christianity. The focus of the memoir was on how the heavenly Father led me out of error and into the freedom of knowing his character more perfectly. Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Virtual Bookworm Publishers distribute this inspiring testimony of my deliverance from false teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.