Tuesday 12 February 2013

HOW A SIMPLE MAN FOUND A JOB.

Some people come and go in a person's life without leaving much of an impression. Like the wind, they create a stir and then disappear. Then there are those individuals that linger in one's memory for decades.

Larry was one such man in my life. I met him through a friend from Jericho Hill School for the Deaf and Blind. Because Larry was mentally impaired, he lived on his Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) pension.

One day, Larry called me with some exciting news. Since he had nothing much to do, he decided to tidy up the local 7-Eleven parking lot. He also asked the manager if there were other jobs that he could do. Soon enough, my friend was working all day at the store. He helped with sweeping the floor, carrying out boxes of goods from the store room, and other unskilled jobs.

One day, the manager called him aside. "Since you're doing such a good job for me, how about working as my employee?" Larry jumped at the chance to get off AISH, which gave him just enough to pay the rent and buy food, and start a real job.

This gave my friend more than just extra money. He felt like a valued member of society. Instead of lounging around on the public doll, he had a job that he could be proud of and a pay cheque with his name on it.

Though I lost track of this unique gentleman, I often think of him as the 7-Eleven man. His diligence was rewarded and he became self-sufficient. Though his IQ was lower than the average, his approach made a lot of sense. It just goes to prove that intelligence is good but wisdom is much better.

I wrote about Larry in my newly-published memoir, How I Was Razed: A Journey from Cultism to Christianity. Please check it out at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Virtual Bookworm.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Larry's story has a happy ending. Many times, we hear about people with disabilities who don't fare as well. It's too bad you lost touch with him.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.