Tuesday 14 August 2012

"THAT AIN'T WHAT I CALL ROCK 'N' ROLL."

In one of his comedy routines, Bill Cosby related how his mother used to put raisins in his Cream of Wheat porridge so he wouldn't notice the lumps. That didn't fool Bill's throat one bit. The lumps still made him gag.

In a similar fashion, one church elder thought she could lure me away from the supposed evils of rock music. In this excerpt from my upcoming memoir, I knew that whatever she wanted me to hear wouldn't satisfy me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sister Eileen dropped the subject but Sister Roberta phoned several days later.

"You really shouldn't listen to that horrid rock music," she admonished. "Why don't you listen to nice wholesome records?"

I sighed and then replied, "Well, I happen to like rock music better."

"You shouldn't be listening to that worldly music. It's so ungodly. Remember what Paul wrote to the Philippians about thinking on things noble, good, and praiseworthy? There are so many uplifting Christian songs you could be listening to."

Then an idea struck her. "Say, why don't I tape some nice sprightly tunes for you?"

"No, thanks. I like the stuff I hear on CHED."

"Well, if you ask me, you're certainly being influenced by satanic forces when you listen to that unholy racket."

I fumed the rest of that day. "Why, Lord, is it so hard to find Christian rock?" I repeated as I paced my room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How I Was Razed is the testimony of how God revealed his true character to me after charismatic house church elders misled me for more than fifteen years. You're welcome to contact me directly for more information about this upcoming paperback.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce, this post reminds me of the time I took a jazz improvisation class in high school. "You should listen to nothing but jazz," the instructor once told me. "Get one of those record players that automatically shuts off at the end of the record. Then you can put on a jazz record before you go to sleep at night."

    Like any teen-ager, I was revolted by the idea of listening to anything other than the popular music of the day. Give up Debbie Boon and Olivia Newton-John for Louie Armstrong or Fats Waller? No thanks, I thought and I didn't. Now as an adult I listen to jazz on NPR all the time, and I love it. Isn't it interesting how people's musical tastes change?

    Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of
    We Shall Overcome
    and
    How to Build a Better Mousetrap:
    Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver
    http://abbiejohnsontaylor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 80s I had many a discussion with those who told me that I needed to give up Petra! Petra had more to say lyrically than almost any other band and I wouldn't give them up.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.