Tuesday 19 June 2012

UNDERSTANDING RABBITS.

After all the publicity in the media about bunnies being a poor choice for children, why do parents still purchase them for their offspring? Any thinking person would realize that these animals are different from cats and dogs. Therefore, they have different needs and exhibit different behaviours.

My mother was one of many unthinking parents who bought a rabbit on a whim. Though it was 1968 and few people even knew that bunnies could be kept as house pets, she should have known that we wouldn't be interested in caring for the poor animal once the novelty wore off.

From my When a Man Loves a Rabbitmemoir, here's how my lack of knowledge about bunnies caused me to misunderstand our long-eared pet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As I was attending Jericho Hill School for the Blind in Vancouver, I was only able to be with Samantha over the Easter holidays. Sent home at the end of June, I discovered that she was kept in a large wooden hutch in the backyard. When I asked Mom why, she said that the mess the rabbit made had become too much for her to bear.

I visited Samantha the first evening of my summer vacation and when I knelt and looked in on her, she hopped from the main part of her cage to her private quarters. I opened the door on the side and she glared at me with large brown eyes?as if I were intruding.

I felt rejected by her.

Besides, it was boring watching a bunny through the wire.

I soon lost interest and the poor animal ended up alone most of the time as we went about our daily activities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

When a Man Loves a Rabbit is filled with many more fascinating stories of life with house bunnies. These vignettes range from the tragic to the hilarious. Please click on the link to my books for details about both of my paperbacks. You're also welcome to contact me directly for more information. Please also visit the House Rabbit Society site for comprehensive rabbit care information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.