Friday 27 April 2012

HAPPINESS IS BAKING YOUR OWN COOKIES.

What are your first memories of helping with baking cookies? When I was a boy, preparing food didn't intrigue me much. My interest was in eating it.

On a lovely weekend in 1968, a gracious couple let me stay with their family. Being five-hundred miles from home in Jericho Hill School for the Deaf and Blind, spending time in a genuine home, rather than a sterile institution, was a blessing.

From my Deliverance from Jericho (Six Years in a Blind School) memoir, here is a pleasant vignette of one happy experience in Vancouver.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On one of those blessed weekend outings, Mrs. Rupert asked me to help with baking the cookies. She showed me how to flatten the dough with the rolling pin. She also demonstrated how to keep dough from sticking to the roller by sprinkling flour over it. Mrs. Rupert handed me a cookie cutter and showed me how to remove the different shapes.

Far from being an irksome chore, this turned out to be enjoyable. Once the cookies were baked, I experienced the added satisfaction of eating treats which I actually helped bake.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Deliverance from Jericho abounds with vignettes of what life was like in that government-run institution. These range from poignant experiences of homesickness to hilarious incidents of mischief. Please feel free to click on the link to my books or contact me directly for more information about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment on this blog. All reasonable comments will be published.