Tuesday, 13 December 2011

AN UNWELCOME "TIN ANGEL" AT A CHRISTMAS PARTY.


Parties are supposed to be fun and Christmas parties especially so, right? I discovered that isn't always the case. The guests at one school party were less than charitable toward me and a record I wanted played.

From Deliverance from Jericho (Six Years in a Blind School), here's what happened when I foolishly asked that my favourite disk be played to the end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed as if I missed out on a fair amount of local news. No one told me that Jericho had a Student's Union until the organization held a Christmas party in the Music Room. Tracy and her blond senior dorm friend Patricia were the main supporters of the Union. Consequently, I felt absolutely no desire to join it.

I took a few of my favourite records, which I brought from home that autumn, to the party. Mom had recently purchased a big bag of seven-inch disks for a dime. Some of those obscure rock bands were surprisingly good.

Since I adored the song called "Tin Angel", I asked Patricia, who was the DJ, to play it. That was a mistake since the song lasted more than five minutes. Everybody, especially Patricia, wanted the record taken off halfway through the song but I begged to hear the whole tune. She reluctantly complied but I heard several partiers nearby sigh. Those less-than-subtle hints took much of the pleasure out of hearing my favourite song.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Deliverance from Jericho is filled with many more vignettes of what life was like in that government-run institution. These range from poignant experiences of homesickness to hilarious incidents of mischief. Read more about Deliverance from Jericho here. Please feel free to contact me directly as well.